Cardboard Derby at Purgatory Resort
The Cardboard Derby at Purgatory Resort is a quintessential ski town event. It’s wild. It’s crazy. It’s silly. It’s snowy. It’s a final fling before spring brings Closing Day to Purgatory. That was some great rhyming, eh?
Here are the details:
- What: McDonald’s Cardboard Derby
- When: 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Saturday, March 17, 2018
- Where: Purgatory Resort, tubing hill, #1 Skier Place, Durango CO 81301
The McDonald’s Cardboard Derby at Purgatory Resort is a classic winter
competition you won’t want to miss! Build your derby racer out of cardboard and duct tape only, and hope it holds together as you slide down the slope on Purgatory’s tubing hill.
Teams and individuals alike will compete in cardboard craft made entirely of corrugated cardboard, paperboard and duct tape.
Here are the rules:
- Registration is required, and participants can register up until the day of the event (although its gets progressively more expensive, so register by March 8 to get the low, low price of $10)
- Build your cardboard craft before derby day.
- Your derby vessel can use only the following materials: cardboard, duct tape, string, twine and paint. Judges will inspect each entry at check-in to ensure that it complies with the rules.
- Contestants will navigate the course one at a time. It’s a derby, not a race.
- The objective is to make it to the scoring zone at the bottom of the hill.
- Everyone must wear helmets.
- Children younger than 6 must co-pilot with an adult. Children under 3 may not participate.
- Each vessel may only be used by one participant or team.
Judges will rate each cardboard craft based on:
- Proximity to the scoring zone
- Creativity of concept and design
Judges may award prizes for any or all of the following:
- Funniest derby vessel name
- Largest derby vessel
- Loudest competitors
- Slowest vessel
- Most colorful derby vessel
- Most creative vessel
- Best costumes
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- Solo Pilot — 16 and under
- Solo Pilot — 17 and over
- Team — 16 and under
- Team — 17 and over
- Team — Adult and Kid
- Local Business Sponsored Vessel
You can also take advantage of Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Durango’s sweet ski deal the night of the derby: “Pay to Stay, Ski for Free.”
If you book a room with Econo Lodge Durango for $95 or more, you get a free adult lift ticket to Purgatory Resort (formerly Durango Mountain Resort). You’ll receive one free adult pass for every night booked. We partnered with Purgatory to dish up this deal, which is good for the remainder of the season!
Because we’re located on Main Avenue (aka US Highway 550), getting to Purgatory is as simple as turning north out of our parking lot, staying on the road for 30 minutes (26.1 miles exactly) then turning into Purgatory.
Our “Pay to Stay, Ski for Free” package is based on availability, so book your room today to get this deal. Guests must book directly at Choicehotels.com, or by calling us at (970) 247-4242. Blackout dates are Feb. 17, Feb. 18 and March 10-16, but you can spend your post-Derby night with us and get your lift ticket for the next day for free.